At the SOCIUM Research Center on Inequality and Social Policy, the working groups Prof Dr Philipp Manow and Prof Dr Carina Schmitt are seeking to fill the following position:
Student Assistant for 45 hours per month
We are looking for a highly motivated and reliable student assistant, with the ability to work in a team and independently, to support research activities on historical origins of contemporary social outcomes. Tasks will vary, but consist mainly of digitizing and geocoding historical maps, and–depending on skills—participation in more analytical research activities. Prior experience with GIS software is a must and good English language skills are desired. The completion of a thesis within the scope of the project is possible but not required.
- Development of a procedure for digitizing and geocoding historical print maps
- Geocoding of historical maps (i.e. creation of point and shape-files) based on the developed procedure
- Manipulation and analysis of geocoded data
- Interest in geographic social science research
- Prior experience working with GIS software (e.g. Arcmap, ArcGIS QGIS)
- Knowledge of statistical software applications (e.g. Excel, R)
- Good English language skills
We are looking for someone to start at the next possible date. The position encompasses 45 working hours per month for six months with the possibility of extension. It offers the opportunity to further develop knowledge and skills acquired during your studies, as well as a great working atmosphere in the teams led by Prof Dr Philip Manow and Prof Dr Carina Schmitt.
If you have any questions regarding the position, please contact Bastian Becker, PhD (email@example.com).
Please submit your application by 30 April 2019, as a PDF document to the same email address (CV, current transcript of records, and a writing sample, e.g. BA thesis or course essay).